NEXUS 25 Employment Site
Up to 4,000 jobs could be created at the NEXUS 25 strategic employment site at Junction 25 on the M5. The vision for creating much needed new employment space east of M5 Junction 25, in line with a range of road and public transport improvements, represents a 'significant regional economic opportunity' and forms part of a portfolio of schemes to support Taunton in reaching its full economic potential between now and 2028 as outlined in the new Growth Prospectus for Taunton.
Residents and businesses are being asked to give their views on the NEXUS 25 strategic employment site,.
Consultation has now commenced and will end on 31 March 2017 - http://consultldf.tauntondeane.gov.uk/portal/j25/
Background & Economic Need
An economic study, prepared by Peter Brett Associates and published in May 2014, determined that land at Junction 25 would perform the best in providing a range and choice of future supply of employment land, with good access to the national route network, and enable Taunton to reach its full economic potential in the south west sub region. The provision of adequate employment land will help to support the supply of new homes which are already planned, the site adjoins the existing urban area of Taunton and has good public transport links already; the scale and quality of the site would bring significant green infrastructure which in turn provide biodiversity and wildlife benefits.
Core Strategy SS8
Taunton needs a strategic employment site to raise the skill base, create jobs and secure inward investment. Junction 25 was identified as a suitable potential employment site in the Core Strategy (Policy SS8) and through consultation with the local business community.
Site Allocation and Development Management Plan
The Site Allocation and Development Management Plan (SADMP) sets out allocations across the Borough consistent with the Core Strategy.
The Junction 25 site has been considered during the SADMP process, and the Preferred Options Consultation (October/ November 2013) identified the site for a Strategic Employment Site.
Click here to find out more about the supporting evidence for the project.
The Site The site is located to the south-east of M5 Junction 25 and is approximately 2.5 miles from Taunton Town Centre and halfway between Bristol and Exeter
The site is a good strategic location in comparison with other strategic employment sites on M5 corridor (below). Journey times to Bristol are less than 1 hour by car or 30 minutes by train, with similar times to Exeter.
There is also excellent rail wider connectivity with a fast rail service to London (1 hour 40 mins), and good connections to the midlands and other centres.
The well-connected location will appeal to investors, businesses and potential employees attracted by Taunton's existing assets, including:
• Good quality schools and colleges
• Thriving town centre, with many independent shops
• Good access to the Quantock and Blackdown Hills, and coast
• Good quality housing at relatively affordable prices
• Good transport links via A358/A303 to Yeovil, South Somerset and
beyond to the Dorset South Coast.
A number of key site opportunities have been identified, which will form part of the emerging proposals. Nexus 25 masterplan will include:
• A range of employment uses including research & development, high quality offices, light industrial, warehouses, and a range of ancillary uses. There are also potential opportunities focusing on development for health and education/ training.
• The creation of a 'Green Campus' with a strong sense of place, walkable streets and a green environment for high quality business uses.
• Attractive and strong building frontage to the M5 and green infrastructure.
• A landscape framework that will provide pleasant pedestrian and cycle links from the site to the wider landscape and incorporate sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDs), tree planting and biodiversity enhancements. Views to the wider landscape, including Stoke Hill to the east, will be maintained.
• Amenity space and new public realm for the employment park.
• Potential landmark bridge across the M5 motorway to provide pedestrian and cycle links between Nexus 25 and Taunton Town Centre.
• Improved public transport links with Taunton Gateway Park & Ride.
• High quality buildings and street frontages to reinforce character and provide a pleasant built environment.
• Digital communication facilities to include gigabit fibre access and mobile 4G/5G connectivity throughout the site.
Do you have a question about the plans for the J25 employment site? See our list of Frequently Asked Questions here. If you can't find the answer to your question please contact us.
Related press releases:
01 March 2017 - TDCB - http://www.tauntondeane.gov.uk/irj/public/news/directory/articles?rid=/guid/909bb78f-67e1-3410-b186-da419771b0d9
21 February 2017 - TDBC - http://www.tauntondeane.gov.uk/irj/public/news/directory/articles?rid=/guid/d0ec9d03-7eda-3410-8693-b6e34b10f22b